Under the leadership of the Programme Director for Education, the Technical Specialist - Education will lead on matters relating to early childhood education, innovation, social safety nets, policy, and planning in education to support the implementation of the Regional Education Sector Strategy. The Technical Specialist- Education will also manage the input of various employees, consultants in order to create a coherent, context-appropriate set of guidelines and usable documents.
The role will be responsible for creating an environment of trust, open communication, and innovative thinking in which teams can be developed and engaged.
More specifically, the Technical Specialist - Education will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Provide technical guidance and advice to support the implementation of the regional education sector strategy
- Contribute to the development of policy and procedures to support the implementation of the regional education sector strategy
- Conduct research, analyze, and disseminate knowledge and best practices.
- Develop and maintain meaningful relationships with key internal and external stakeholders.
- Provide technical assistance to internal and external stakeholders to drive the implementation of the education annual work programme, projects, initiatives, and wider Commission’s programme
- Contribute towards the advocacy and communication on the work of the EDMU
- Monitors and advices on current trends and issues in education in order to propose options for policy, programming, and reform for improving education
- Develops and oversees the implementation of quality controls for activities undertaken to facilitate the implementation of the regional education strategy and regional education programme
- Lead the sharing of knowledge and lessons learned from exemplary practice in education, teaching, and learning
- Prepares and reviews reports and provides technical input and in order to ensure quality
- Provides technical input in planning and reporting on the education development in the region
- Manage consultants to ensure delivery on the scope of works in order to ensure timely delivery and specified quality
- Prepare Terms of Reference and Concept Notes for the procurement of services and planned initiatives
- Prepare concept notes and budgets to drawn down and report financial resources
- Plan and coordinate regular meetings of key governance/technical working groups/national focal points and appropriately document and monitor outcomes, decisions and action items
- Represent the OECS Commission at Regional and International engagements.
- Partner with the Portfolio Management Office to lead the successful delivery of projects and education programmes.
- Undertake related assignments by the Programme Director- Education
Experience and Knowledge:
- Masters degree in social science- Education, Higher Education, Early Childhood Education, Education Policy and Planning, Information Technology, Curriculum, International Development or other relevant fields.
- At least three (3) years progressively responsible professional work experience coordinating education programmes and initiatives at the regional or national level
- Strong familiarity with the cultural and political context of the OECS region.
- Proven capacity to work with collaborative teams across different locations and with different technical skills.
- Strong writing and communication skills and the aptitude to handle competing messages and priorities with multiple audiences.
- Ability to translate complex ideas from various fields into unified, clear guidance.
- Experience working in complex, resource-poor contexts is a plus.
- Fluency in English. French would be an asset.
- Training and experience in project management would is an asset.
- Experience with multi-country and multi-donor projects.
- Experience and skills in the Microsoft Suite of programmes, (including Microsoft PowerPoint, Project, MS Excel, Word) and database programs.
Terms of Appointment
The OECS Commission is headquartered in Castries, Saint Lucia. The position of Technical Specialist-Education is open to nationals of OECS Member States and is stationed at the OECS Commission headquarters. Taking into consideration the COVID-19 pandemic, remote working will also be considered.
The position is on a fixed-term establishment. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience, and exempt from income taxes. In addition to the basic salary, this post attracts allowances.
Please ensure that certified copies of academic and professional awards or certificates are included in your application.
The deadline for all submissions is Sunday 4th April 2021.
Only applications under consideration will be acknowledged.